Lively time:25 minutes
Whole time:35 minutes
In addition to, as this recipe from Bri Beaudoin’s “Evergreen Kitchen” proves, there are methods to get extra taste into canned beans. By sauteing garlic and shallot with tomato paste and recent thyme, you give an fragrant, umami-filled base to vegetable broth. Simmer beans briefly on this liquid, stir in a little bit miso (for extra umami) and Swiss chard, drizzle with olive oil, and also you’re executed.
The outcome: brothy beans that style like they took loads longer to cook dinner than they did.
Particularly after I’m so in any other case busy, that makes these beans the stuff of goals. I eat them over rice, noodles, roasted potatoes — or, better of all, as a stew with crusty bread.
Storage Notes: Refrigerate for as much as 5 days.
Need to save this recipe? Click on the bookmark icon beneath the serving dimension on the high of this web page, then go to Saved Stories in My Post.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for optionally available drizzling
- 2 giant shallots (4 ounces every), thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or finely grated
- 1 tablespoon recent thyme leaves
- 2 cups Scrappy Vegetable Broth or store-bought, no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nice salt, plus extra to style
- 2 (15-ounce) cans butter or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white miso (shiro miso)
- 3 cups (5 ounces) packed chopped Swiss chard or spinach
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Grilled crusty bread or focaccia, for serving (optionally available)
In a Dutch oven or giant saucepan over medium warmth, warmth the olive oil till it shimmers. Add the shallots and tomato paste and cook dinner, stirring continuously, till the shallots are mushy, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook dinner, stirring, till aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the broth, pepper and salt, cowl, and produce to a boil. Cut back the warmth to medium-low, cowl and simmer till the flavors meld, about 5 minutes.
Add the beans, stir to mix, cowl and cook dinner till they’re warmed via, about 10 minutes. Take away from the warmth and stir within the miso till absolutely dissolved. Stir within the Swiss chard. Style, and season with extra salt as wanted.
Drizzle the beans with olive oil, should you’d like, and serve them scorching with lemon wedges on the facet and bread for dipping, if utilizing.
Energy: 302; Whole Fats: 14 g; Saturated Fats: 2 g; Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 711 mg; Carbohydrates: 37 g; Dietary Fiber: 8 g; Sugar: 8 g; Protein: 8 g
This evaluation is an estimate primarily based on obtainable elements and this preparation. It shouldn’t substitute for a dietitian’s or nutritionist’s recommendation.
Tailored from “Evergreen Kitchen” by Bri Beaudoin (Penguin Canada, 2022).
Examined by Joe Yonan; e-mail inquiries to email@example.com.
Did you make this recipe? Take a photograph and tag us on Instagram with #eatvoraciously.