United Airlines plane taking off from Maui plunged to within 800 feet of the Pacific Ocean, flight data shows

Spread the love

A United Airways flight took a terrifying dive, plummeting to merely 800 toes above the Pacific Ocean shortly after taking off from Maui late final yr, flight knowledge exhibits. 

The drop unfolded simply 71 seconds after United Airways Flight UA 1722 took off from Kahului Airport in Maui certain for San Francisco on Dec. 18, based on knowledge from Flight Radar, a flight monitoring web site. The dive was first reported by The Air Current

The flight knowledge exhibits the airplane took off at 2:49 p.m. native time and rose to an altitude of two,200 toes when it all of a sudden took a dive and dropped to 775 toes over the Pacific Ocean. 

The plunge noticed the airplane dip at a vertical price of practically 8,600 toes per minute, based on the info.

The flight recovered and regained an altitude of two,350 toes shortly after, the dive and restoration making up lower than a minute, based mostly on the info.

The airplane had taken off as Hawaii was experiencing stormy climate with showers and thunderstorms rolling throughout the area, based on the National Weather Service office in Honolulu. On Dec. 18, Maui was underneath flash flood warnings, high surf and gale warnings. 

The flight continued on its journey and arrived in San Francisco at 9:03 p.m. native time. 

United Airways stated after touchdown at SFO, the pilots filed “the suitable security report.”

United coordinated with the Federal Aviation Administration and the Air Line Pilots Affiliation “on an investigation that in the end resulted within the pilots receiving further coaching,” it stated.

“Security stays our highest precedence,” the airline stated in an announcement.

The airline stated the 2 pilots concerned, who’ve roughly 25,000 hours of flying expertise between them, totally cooperated with the investigation and their coaching program is ongoing. The airline declined to supply additional info on the incident.

The FAA stated the flight crew reported the incident to the FAA as part of a voluntary security reporting program and the company reviewed the incident and took “applicable motion.” 

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *